Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Follow up: Apple & Amazon Security Issues


After yesterday's post called Find My iPhone about the security holes at both Apple and Amazon's systems, I'm happy to announce that both companies have taken action to address the issues outlined by the hacker who goes by the name of Phobia.  Amazon's changes are outlined here and Apple's are here.

So now what?  By my accounting, the hackers have gotten exactly what they set out to get; changes in the security policies of a couple of big companies and a little bit of fame.  The tactics are questionable but the results are very clear.  I disagree strongly with the methods that these hackers employed (especially deleting someone's data), but I really have a hard time figuring out how else they could have gotten such a quick and effective response from these large companies.  What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment